Margaret Herman
Margaret Herman asked Lori Foster:

Where did the character of Cannon come from in "Getting Rowdy" to give the idea of the Ultimate Fighter series? Margaret Herman

Lori Foster Thanks for the interest, Margaret. Actually, I have no idea where Cannon came from. I was busy writing Rowdy's book - and suddenly Cannon showed up. That's how it is for me with secondary characters. They just sort of pop onto the scene. Once there, Cannon made it clear he wanted a bigger role, so I gave it to him.
I never argue with my characters. ;-)
I suppose my imagination drew him as a compilation from the many fighters I enjoy watching in the UFC. I've not only watched most of the fights, but also all the documentaries and biographies on the guys, so I know just how heroic many of them are. It seemed a natural thing to let Cannon be a hero.
Hope that answers your question.