Fredward
Fredward asked Michael J. Sullivan:

Sup Mr Sullivan. I just finished reading Theft of Swords and it was fine, not revolutionary but I think you know that but a fun read, a page-turner. But before I start with the rest I really have to know something - is the damsel in distress thing gonna remain a theme? We all have those cliches that just get under our skin and this is one of mine.

Michael J. Sullivan Hey Fredward,
Thanks for checking out Theft of Swords. No the damsel in distress doesn't remain a theme. In fact the women play a role in saving the men as much as the men saving the women. Arista and Thrace/Modina have long story arcs and I started them out from a deficit so that you could be along as they transition. I think you'll be really pleased with how they both grow over the course of the series. Thanks for asking!