Leonardo Pinheiro
Leonardo Pinheiro asked Brent Weeks:

Hey Mr Weeks, huge fan of your work! Got some questions: #1. How is it going the work on the graphic novel of "The Way of Shadows"? #2. How hard is for you to choose what to show on the graphic novel, do you participate in every aspect of the work? #3. Is there something not covered in the book that you would like to show on the graphic novel? Thanks!

Brent Weeks Thank you!
1) As of now, my work (minus promotion) on the graphic novel is finished. I feel really good about what I've done and curious (and a bit nervous!) to see the final art on the remaining chapters. 2) It was brutal to choose what to keep and what to cut, especially because every cut has repercussions through all three books. I did participate in most aspects of the graphic novel. Ivan Brandon did the adaptation using direct quotes from the books, I then edited those and sometimes rewrote entire pages (because what works in a book and a graphic novel are different!). Then you go back and forth any number of times with the script and the art and even the lettering. It's quite a process. 3) I don't get to add subplots (and thank God for that limitation!), but what I love about the graphic format is the sense of movement you get from the action, and immediacy of feeling from the characters. In a book, you can forget the force of Momma K's beauty and charisma on others if I don't remind you all the time, or you can forget the sheer physical presence of Logan Gyre. In a graphic novel, those are ever-present.
Brent Weeks