Kam
Kam asked Robin Sloan:

I really like the way you worked New York City into your book, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore! It was also fun to see a little of the tech world. I've heard that authors have no shortage of ideas, but how do the settings work into the development of the story? Did you think about how many people walk around New York and wonder what is going on around them?

Robin Sloan Hey Kam: That is a great question! For me, it's definitely the case that setting precedes story… so, it's not that I think, "Hmm, I need a place to put this battle with cyber-alligators, where should that be…" but rather that I visit a weird town in Florida, see some cyber-alligators, and make a note: "Include cyber-alligators in future story." So yes, you've got it exactly right: New York wouldn't be a part of this story if I hadn't wandered the streets of Manhattan myself, sort of marveling at the density and chaos of the place.