Sumiko Saulson
Sumiko Saulson asked Christopher Rice:

You have written in multiple genres. Is it hard to change from one genre to another, and how to publishers feel about it? Is there pressure to continue to write in a genre (if it is successful) or stop writing in a certain genre if your work in that genre is less successful?

Christopher Rice If I have a deep affection for the gene, making the switch isn't that hard. I usually just start reading compulsively in the new genre to get myself in the mood. To flick the switch, if you will. Right now, the erotic novella I'm working on - THE FLAME - is paranormal. So there's the consistent thread of supernatural happenings between this work and the novel I just turned in, THE VINES. So what if one them has a magical candle that causes bisexual three ways and the other has a plant possessed by an evil spirit who drinks your blood and tears apart your enemies? My job in both is to make ridiculous things seem plausible. To chronicle what happens when a baffling supernatural force intrudes into the everyday life of an ordinary character.

Every book has its own set of specific challenges, apart from genre restrictions. And usually they have to do with a character's motivations. If those are off, then the whole book is off. So getting to know who I'm writing about it, seems more important to me than constantly charting whether or not all of my ingredients are adding up to some specific recipe for romance, horror, thriller or mystery.