John Birtchet-sharpe
John Birtchet-sharpe asked David Dalglish:

lastly .. I know of at least three characters you have killed of that have bugged.. I understand why from a story/ readers perspective...but it can be a hard reading knowing going forward is gone for the character (at least chronologically) .. is it ever tough for you... do you ever regret it later?

David Dalglish The answer to both questions is yes, and yes. I've gotten a bit calmer about killing off characters, and lately when I do, it is because I am absolutely certain their story is done, and I have nothing left to tell with them. Either that, or the story demands it (such as the ending to Broken Pieces). But, for example, when I was writing A Dance of Cloaks I almost took glee in killing off characters, and knowing people would be surprised or upset. That childish glee is, for the most part, gone, particularly now when I get emails and realize that even the most minor of characters might end up being someone's favorite.