LJ
LJ asked S.E. Jakes:

Hi, I was just wondering how you go from writing stories to getting them published? I've tried to look into it and it's all so confusing! Love your books btw! They're such great reads :D

S.E. Jakes Thanks, LJ! Thrilled you love my books :) As for the publishing process...it's complicated, but today you actually have more choices than when I first started (back in like 2003 trying to getting 'the call' in 2006)...self-publishing has really been a blessing for a lot of people. But I think the most important thing is to make sure that your book is 'ready.'

(This is a very concise version of course) Then decide where you want to be published - for NY pubs, you still need an agent, so you'd have to start querying agents (except for the HQ category lines) or sending to ePubs (for which you don't need an agent - just a full and polished ms) or self publishing. If you've got a particular pub in mind, go to their page, follow them on twitter to see if they're having open calls (aka an open invite to send your material if it matches what they're looking for - I know Riptide and Carina Press do this quite a bit)...and if you're not sure, you can certainly do all of this simultaneously.

Often, agents who have twitter will also share information, have open calls and the like.

Another thing I can suggest (and I did this) is check out the authors who you think write the same subject matter you do. Where and how do they publish? Usually they'll talk about their publishers and the like. Self pubbed authors are especially generous with their information.

I hope that helps! If you need any clarification, just yell or you can email me through my website. I know it's confusing, but start with how you'd like to pub (NY / ePub / self-pub) and then move forward from there.