A Goodreads user asked Brent Weeks:

Hi Mr. Weeks! Thank you for taking our questions! I appreciate the work and creativity in your books. I get keeping things real/true to the nature of the characters/settings; in retrospect, do you think the amount of f-bombs & sex was necessary? Unfortunately I can't recommend your books to some because of that content. I've noticed it's not as prevalent in the Lightbringer series and really appreciate it.

Brent Weeks Hi Jarred,
I think you answer your own question: if I'm going to be true to the nature of characters, they're going to act according to their own nature. People willing to kill or to prostitute themselves are generally pretty willing to use the F-word. The characters in Lightbringer are a different set; more educated, more cultured, and wealthier. I guess it comes down to how I see reality. I think when people are at the scariest, most stressful points in their life and they get surprised or scared, some people will say, "Shucks!" But not many. This world isn't Mayberry.
With the swearing, and with the sex, I apply the same test that I apply to the violence. Is this really what the characters would do, and do I portray the fallout of that (both internally and externally) correctly?
I understand that that means these stories aren't for everyone.
Brent Weeks