Shannon
Shannon asked N.K. Jemisin:

How did you get your start? Did you publish short stories, and later moved on to novels once you had street-cred? Or did you just dive right into novel-writing and impressed a very lucky agent? (And more importantly, HOW did you impress said very lucky agent? ...But that might be a different question entirely.)

N.K. Jemisin Hi Shannon. I started writing as a child, just to get the stories out of my head. In my late 20s I started trying to publish novels, but had no luck. Then I went to the Viable Paradise writing workshop, and was convinced there to try writing short stories in order to improve my novels, and also to build some writing cred. I joined a writing group after that, which gave me the incentive I needed to pursue that goal for awhile, and I got several stories published. Then I sought an agent for my novels, and found Lucienne Diver. :) Impressing an agent is "easy" -- just write a publication-worthy book that they like. (In my case it was the book that became THE KILLING MOON, although TKM didn't sell at first; my first published book was THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS.) And the rest as they say is history. :)