Patrick Brown
Patrick Brown asked Emily Gould:

Friendship was one of the first books I've read that really got how people communicate and relate to one another through technology (but didn't simultaneously make a big thing about it). Did you find it challenging to write a book that was so steeped in technology? Did you worry that, like, there should have been Snapchat in it or something?

Emily Gould I'm so steeped in technology, for better or for worse, that I didn't consciously work to accomplish this (thank you!) but I did have to work at keeping technological details consistent during the revision process. I worked on the book over the period of 4 years, during which time technology changed a lot. In the first few drafts the characters didn't have iPhones yet (because their creator didn't) but by the final draft they had to have iPhones, not only because I did but because it was INCONCEIVABLE that those people would not have and use iPhones. I did worry about those details drawing attention to themselves and dating the book, and also about cultural details dating the book (as when the characters watch Teen Mom and Keeping Up With The Kardashians.) But it's rare to read a book that's so chockablock with cultural references that the passage of time has rendered it incomprehensible, right? Maybe like two Bret Easton Ellis books but that's it. Anyway, Keeping Up With The Kardashians will probably be the one thing from our society that remains after humans become extinct, so I probably shouldn't worry too hard about that.