Ava Branson
Ava Branson asked Jaye Wells:

I'm recently published and struggling with promotion. It's way out of my comfort zone yet I know that it's a part of the package. How frequently should a new author post to promotional sites and FB/Twitter, etc. Please know I'm aware of how spam is viewed and have probably swung too far in the opposite direction from that demon for my own good! What's the right ratio/balance, in your opinion? Thanks so much! :)

Jaye Wells Hi Ava,

Think of social media less in terms of promotion and more in terms of community building. Join conversations with people who write and read books in your genre. Ask people questions. Talk about things you find interesting or entertaining. Therefore, it's not as much about the quantity of content, but the quality of content. If people thing you're interesting, they'll check out your books. But it takes a long time to build an audience and you have to do the things you enjoy doing. If you hate twitter, then being on there is actually counterproductive, in my opinion. But if you love Facebook or Instagram or Tumblr, then focus your efforts there and have fun with it. You'll meet tons of cool people and might pick up some readers along the way. But don't go into it thinking that number of followers=book sales. It most assuredly does not.