Goodreads asked Alyssa B. Sheinmel:

Alyssa B. Sheinmel A while before my first book, The Beautiful Between, was published back in 2010, I began drafting some notes for another book idea, the story of a girl who’d been in an accident that changed her face forever, who would struggle to discover how much of who she was was tied to what she looked like. Soon, I had written up page after page of notes. A few years passed, and I kept coming back to this idea, kept jotting down more notes – but I was never quite ready to start writing, never quite sure how to tell this story.

But then one day, my editor approached me about writing the story of a girl who’d survived a horrific accident, a girl for whom a face transplant was her best hope at a normal life. I know it sounds corny, but I honestly felt like it was meant to be somehow, like this was the story I’d been waiting to write for years.