Laurie
Laurie asked Josh Lanyon:

Josh Lanyon I guess it's possible you could read the story arc that way.

But I think it's pretty clear that Jake does not initially believe there is any other way to experience gay sex except through S/M clubs. At that point in his life he believes sex should be secret, painful, punishing -- and yes, I'm sure there is an exciting element to all that (especially since he gets to be the punisher). But his view of gay sex (and the clubs) is that it is an ugly, shameful, BAD thing.

This is not the view of a healthy psyche joyfully involved in S/M. This is a troubled and self-hating man who has turned to S/M as the only viable outlet for his needs--which he views as warped, twisted--and acts on accordingly.

Keep in mind that Jake is a man who *above all else* craves normality as represented by a white picket fence and a family.

He initially thinks those two things--gay sex and normality and/or a stable family--are incompatible.

His view on all these things changes through his relationship with Adrien.

As for "vanilla", that is Adrien's take on himself, and Adrien is an unreliable narrator much of the time. Given the complications of a relationship with someone like him, the fact that Jake keeps coming back for more even while in pursuit of his "normal" future, I think tells its own story.

Jake makes reference at some point to how "flexible" Adrien is, and I think that's a very clear indicator that Adrien is capable of supplying whatever Jake needs.

And, after all, vanilla need not be boring. They are many, many delectable ways to serve vanilla, which is, after all, the basis of nearly every dessert ever made. ;-)