Sabrina
Sabrina asked Juliet Marillier:

Hi Juliet Marillier; I find it impossible to ask all the questions in my head regarding your work. I have enjoyed every story, but my favorite hands down was Foxmask. So I would love to know what inspired this story, in particular the main female character Creidhe?

Juliet Marillier Hi Sabrina and sorry to be slow to reply. Around the time I was planning the sequel to Wolfskin there were a lot of fantasy books and TV series featuring female protagonists of the ballsy, fighting kind who showed their strength in a traditionally masculine way. I decided to create a female protagonist who would be equally strong, but be far more of a traditionally feminine type - hence Creidhe's embroidery and also her physical characteristics. I thought hard about what she would have inherited from Eyvind and Nessa, both strong characters in their own ways. Foxmask is also a story about Somerled's journey to redemption, something I really wanted to do after ending Wolfskin on a note of question! The overall story is the most fantastic of all my novels, partly inspired by the very wild landscape of the Faroe Islands, where everything is extreme!