Goodreads asked Judith Rook:

Judith Rook I understand "aspiring writers" to mean people who want to connect seriously with an audience and feel driven to spend quite a lot of time writing.
If you have become that sort of person then my first advice is: don't think that the second or third draft is the final one. Even if you've come to the end of what you are convinced is the completed short story or novel, put it on one side for two weeks while you do something else then come back to it. You will be surprised.
Be in contact with other writers whenever you have the opportunity. If you join a writer's group (I am a member of two) you may find that it is little more than a pleasant social get-together. If that is the case, don't waste your time. Leave. A writer needs to be in touch with people who are writing seriously, no matter what the level of technical skill may be.