Amanda Smith
Amanda Smith asked Philippa Gregory:

Hello there! Firstly, I adore all of your work! However, my question actually pertains to 'The Wise Women. Of all your works, this one hit my heart the hardest. I admit I had to sit and stare off at the wall for a good 30 minutes of contemplation afterwords. What was your inspiration for Alys and Morach? They were so compelling and had so much depth. Truly a great piece of literature!

Philippa Gregory Thank you, I am so glad that it was powerful for you. I think it was a major book for me to write, it came at a time when I was at a crossroads in my personal life and I think I was thinking about how a woman should be – in this world as well as the medieval one. The supernatural element in it frightened me while I was writing it, and I really don't know where it came from. Of all my books it is the least consciously written and plotted and I think this may be why it engages deeply with unconscious fears and symbols. I once lived in the cottage that I give to Morach and I knew the river that runs underground. It is a powerful primeval landscape and I loved writing about it. I am so glad that it spoke to you.
Philippa Gregory