Dolen Perkins-Valdez
Dolen Perkins-Valdez asked Lisa See:

Hi Lisa! I am loving #HistoricalFictionWeek here on Goodreads. I'm a rookie historical fiction author (two books) and I have long admired your work and career. What advice do you have for writers who are just beginning to shape their careers and hope to continue writing books for a long time?

Lisa See Thank you for your kind words Dolen! My advice would be to always look at writing as a job. That means, you get up and you go to work. I don’t wait for that moment of inspiration. By now, I do a lot of things—I write, I do a lot of speaking, and I do other fun—what I consider to be fun—projects. But the most important thing is writing, so that always comes first. When I get up, the first thing I do is write. My rule is 1000 words a day—just four pages—that isn’t very much. Life is short, so be passionate about everything you do.