Sam Julian
Sam Julian asked Michelle Moran:

What is your research process like, and how do you check your work for historical accuracy? Can you describe an instance when you decided, for dramatic or plot purposes, it was better to overlook historical precedent?

Michelle Moran Before writing each book, I visit the country where the book is set and try to speak with any experts of that particular era (either in that country or here in the US). I spend a great deal of time with my nose buried in research books as well. I have editors who check for accuracy, as well as beta-readers who are historians. At the end of each book I talk about places where I made cuts, usually for dramatic effect or because the book would be too long or unwieldy otherwise.
Michelle Moran