Annie Elozano
Annie Elozano asked:

I really want to read this this book and I will as soon as I buy it, but I still want to know, is it depressing is some kind of way? or very sad or something like that? I mean I know it says that it's kind of funny but as it's also in a mental institution so I want to know

To answer questions about It's Kind of a Funny Story, please sign up.
Joanna Most books about depression can be a trigger and put you in a depressing mood (like Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher which I couldn't even finish because it made me feel so crappy) but this also seems to have a hopeful tone to it. Maybe its because you know that in the end Craig is going to be okay. I didn't have any problem reading it and I loved it. Yes, it takes place in a mental institution but it has some comical undertones to it so that helps.
Kai It's a book about depression, but it's not the least bit depressing.
Ari It's not triggering or very depressing. It's more hopeful and funny. I wouldn't put it under the "Humor" genre per se, but it's kind of matter-of-fact with a hopeful tone behind it.
Carrie You know Craig turned out okay but not Vizzini. When I read it I didn't know what happened later to our dear author, and I thought the book put a hopeful spin on depression. Knowing that after the fact, the book is based on the author's true story and what happened to Ned later on made me really sad. Vizzini's life did not end at the end of the book, Craig's happily ever after does not apply to real life. In Vizzini's case, depression won.
Chelsea It's not particularly depressing, but it's about depression. I loved it, and I'm not a sad book reader. Ever. As in the seventh Harry Potter book was a little much for me at times. Actually there was probably a sad part in each of the Harry Potter books, and each time I probably had a little bit of an issue. I couldn't finish reading The Fault in Our Stars because it was SO sad. But this? Funny! Made me think about my own mental health, became an eye opener for me.
Chloe Bosley This book actually made me laugh at points.
skylar Being a book about depression, it has it parts, but as Teen Vogue says: "A book about depression that’s not the least bit depressing." so I think you'll be fine.
Leia Fuller It's gets very real at times about depression and mental illness in general, but it's very inspirational.
Lexi Melendez This book got me through a tough time in my life. Its a book that is pretty much relatable to anyone. I loved it! this is hands down the best book i have ever read!!
Walter Warren At 67 I saw something of myself in every character in the book at some time in my life. I have had anything but a depressing life..
Amelia I actually found it sort of therapeutic during a bout with anxiety. :)
Marylou Najera I am currently listening to the audio version of this book, and it's had me laughing out loud several times. The protagonist, Craig, is so endearing and such a real character, I would not in any way call it depressing or sad. Of course, I have not yet finished it, but am about 3/4 of the way through.
I'm really enjoying it, so much.
Ellie From the blurb, you know Craig is going to be okay (I'm not a fan of sad stories so I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I thought it would be one). The beginning of the book is emotional but the way it's written isn't the least bit depressing! This is certainly one of my favourite books so I really recommend it!
David Quigley Quite disturbing early on as the main protagonist becomes deeply depressed. You are then taken on a healing journey. Some fabulous characters. A good read.
Image for It's Kind of a Funny Story