Neil Higgins
Neil Higgins asked:

Can anyone explain to me exactly what Bellman's deal with Black was? I enjoyed the book but the ending left me slightly confused..

To answer questions about Bellman & Black, please sign up.
Nkboyd
Anna Zook
Roxana Whitner Bellman had a knack for being in complete control; however, he could not see the obvious role Black played. I'm not sure how the ending was confusing. To me, it simply showed the different ways we perceive the obstacles or joys placed in our paths. Look at the way Dora saw the Rook as compared to how her father saw it.
Karla Martinsen To me Black represented the rook killed in the beginning; in those times many things were held to be mystic and the rook definitely was. Black was also only seen around death and each time Bellmen's own death was on the line there was Black. He was only in Bellmen's mind and haunted him.
Image for Bellman & Black
by Diane Setterfield (Goodreads Author)