Ainul Riz
Ainul Riz asked:

Is this book connected to AMERICAN GODS? Should I read this series in order?

To answer questions about Anansi Boys, please sign up.
T. Blake Neil Gaiman has mentioned in several interviews that Anansi Boys is most mistakenly viewed as a sequel, when all he did was roll over some of the characters from American Gods. If I remember correctly, he's also mentioned that he started writing Anansi Boys first but American Gods ended up being published first. Hope that helps.
Phil I think this book is wrongly listed as American Gods #2. It is not a direct sequel, and has only a small connection, as Mr. Nancy appears briefly in American Gods. You don't need to read them in order.
Josh American Gods is connected through the character Mr. Nancy, who plays a decent role in the story American Gods. I thoroughly enjoyed American Gods and all of the individualistic characters that Gaiman incorporates into the story. Once I found out Anansi Boys was connected to Mr. Nancy, I immediately wanted to read this book.
Gbolahan No, they're not connected.
And, no, do not bother to read American gods...
Anansi Boys is a stand-alone novel. I know people who read American gods (and hated it) and hence didn't want to read Anansi Boys. I had to beg then to not give up on the ever-so eccentric Gaiman.
Anansi Boys is the BOMB ☺
shastatour I read both and always felt Anansi Boys was the prequel to American Gods which makes sense what T. Blake said that he read Gaiman started Anansi Boys first but American Gods was published first. The bottom line though is that there is nothing in one that you need to know to enjoy the other book. I agree with what others said that Anansi Boys is the more accessible novel. American Gods can be a tough slog for many - I loved the audio version. My wife hated the print version.
Camila Just finished Anansi Boys...it was like going back to my childhood and some more...maybe because I'm Caribbean. Well.. did you read it ?
Christy No. Just read Anansi boys. Forget about American Gods.
Image for Anansi Boys
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author)