Zuzana Hábeková

Hey everyone, I am translating Forever Overhead from English, where the concluding Hello is polysemantic. Do you think the meaning of the Hello is that of a greeting to something new the boy is entering into or his call in order for his voice to be heard? In Slovak, I can only use either of the meanings, for which there are two separate words. Much appreciated, thank you!

David C. I just finished reading this book about three weeks ago, and read this entire story again to answer your question.

I'm of the opinion that the closing 'hello' is a greeting, but not from the boy to what he is entering, but the opposite: a greeting from the world to the boy, ans in 'welcome.' The boy is changing into a man and the world is greeting him. I don't know if there is any way for you to capture this nuance with yet a third word, but even in English, it's something that has to be gathered from the context, so if you have to chose between the two my vote would be for the former.
Jake DeBacher If it has to be one or the other, I'd say that it's the former, the greeting to something new. Because the whole story is told in second person, I think it makes the most sense that it's more something he's hearing said to himself - externally, from the man behind him, and internally, from his new manhood.
Lukasz Pruski I am probably too late to help, but I have just finished reading the book, and found the story totally fascinating. My reading is that it is a greeting to something new, to the newly acquired manhood. I have read somewhere that the book was translated into Polish last year: you may want to check - I am guessing Slovak semantics is not that different from Polish.
Image for Brief Interviews with Hideous Men