Timothy Knutson

Do I need to read The Angel's Game before I can read this one? It seems like this is a continuation of Daniel's story from The Shadow of the Wind, while The Angel's Game is a completely separate story and character. While I be confused if I skip The Angel's Game and go straight onto The Prisoner of Heaven?

To answer questions about The Prisoner of Heaven, please sign up.
Patrick Schlüter I had read PoH before Angel's game and enjoyed it immensely. I re-read it after Angel's game and enjoyed it even more. The back-story of Angel's game filled the secondary characters with so much life that the story changed significantly. So I tend to think that the books should be read in the right order to be enjoyed to their fullest.
Marie Yes, you should read the books in the order they were written. Whilst the Prisoner of Heaven is the continuation of The Shadow of the Wind, it holds some of the answers to the mystery of the Angel's Game. So if you read it before the Angel's Game, it will spoil the latter...
Jan De As you may have noticed, you can read these books in any order you like. But as stated many times before : follow the writer. And above all : read them all !
Ian I just finished The Angles Game and PoH in the last 2 weeks. After reading both I think it is almost better to read PoH first and than end with the Angles Game. In my opinion the Angles Game seems out of place without the context PoH provides. Reading PoH first wont lead to confusion without the Angles game
Colin Jackson I am reading the quartet as the author wrote them; starting with Shadow of The Wind, to the last which I am now opening, Labyrinth of The Spirits. Reading the books chronologically deprives one of a parallax view of Zafon's story and its characters.
Yannick Bongaerts In my opinion, one is free to read The Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven or Shadow of The wind in any order. This changes your experience of the story and will give you different moments of amazement when you notice the beautiful entanglement of the books. After having read two books, you'll feel the urge to read the first one again and discover hidden connections and references, which will deepen your appreciation for the story.

If one can choose, the order of the writer is a good starting point, if only one of the sequals is presently available, go ahead. Make sure to read them all and re-read them in due time.
Image for The Prisoner of Heaven