susan s
susan s asked:

I am totally baffled by the ending of this book. I have my own skewed supposition on what happened (or is going to happen), but would love to hear other's theories on what exactly the ending means? Thanks.

To answer questions about The Kept, please sign up.
Mary
Diane McPhail I, too, had some difficulty with the ending. It is hard to say anything without saying too much and creating a spoiler. But like Cormac McCarthy in several of his works, I believe Scott has left us with realities we would rather not see and which fiction often allows us to avoid. He also confronts us with the realities of families, even as we sometimes encounter the family life of Nazi criminals or as we see in the book and movie Dead Man Walking.
Nancy I suspect that Caleb committed suicide by bad guy. It says that he heard the (presumed ghosts) of his siblings and he took the ammunition out of his gun, and he was outnumbered two to one, so I think he was just biding his time, waiting for the Millard bros. to come up and kill him.
Zak Gere Revenge seeker learns to identify the enemy as the self without any cheesy external redemption, old theme done well, I'm totally satisfied by the ending, great book.
Image for The Kept