D.
D. asked:

Could anyone recommend to me a book or series as complex and amazing as the Malazan (excluding the Kharkanas trilogy of course)?Because everything after reading the it just seems on a lower level.

To answer questions about The Crippled God, please sign up.
Shayan Foroozesh You might wanna check here:
http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fan...
The Malazan is holding the tenth position. Click on the "view similar recommendations" to see what you're looking for.
Akiva I haven't read it yet, but I have heard Steven Erikson and many other fantasy authors speak in glowing terms about Glen Cook's Black Company series (as of yet unfinished).

You've probably heard of A Song of Ice and Fire, but I prefer MBotF....

Yanno, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I suspect we may have to look in other genres. Hild by Nicola Griffith was really well-realized: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I've heard good things about Mary Renault's Alexander the Great series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

And many authors I admire swear by Dorothy Dunnett: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

But alas, most of these are on my To Read list.... I'd love to know if you find that any of them stack up.

For crazy world-building (but weaker character development) there's always Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy.
Mark I would recommend The Prince of Nothing trilogy and the Aspect-Emperor series by F. Scott Bakker. Very deep and complex storylines. (I actually "discovered" him from a recommendation of Steven Erikson on one of his blogs or interviews many years ago.)

There are also the Malazan books by Ian Esslemont.
D. After having read a good amount of books I can say I'm very pleased so far with the Stormlight Archive series and definitely look forward to see how it continues as I see much potential in it.The Wheel of Time was pretty good with the problem of the last books written by Jordan,which started dragging out a little too much.A Song of Ice and Fire started out very promising but i'd suggest that anyone interested in it wait until it is finished as the time gaps between books have become unbearable.I also very much enjoyed the Dark Tower series with its unusual characters and King's brutal honesty.
Adam Gilchrest I think the answer is "no". I've read the First Law books, Broken Empire, started a lot of Sanderson books, The Black Company series, and all the "go-to" fatansy series but none come close for me. All of those have that cheesy cliche aspect to them, where the main characters just say the wittiest things and are super sarcastic and have these hidden histories that let you know they've been through it all. Plus, none of them touch Eriksons poetic aptitude. If you're willing to dip into sci-fi, check out Alistair Reynolds "Revelation Space" series. It's dark and confusing like The Book of the Fallen.
Josh The Wheel of Time, or Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn or Stormlight Archives books are the only works I've discovered at this level. They are different in key ways, in that they don't withhold as much information as this series. But my rankings put Wheel of Time first followed by Sanderson and then Erikson, so that's my opinion.
Stephen Richter I liked Joe Abercrombie First Law series. Not as many characters, but still has that edge that Erikson can write. The first book is called The Blade Itself. The Mark Lawrence Broken Empire is another I recommend, the first book is Price of Thorns
Avaminn F'nett Wheel of Time has the same level of complexity but the plot and writing style are completely different from that of Malazan.

I haven't read it yet, but there is a Malazan spin-off series by Ian Esslemont.
Image for The Crippled God
by Steven Erikson (Goodreads Author)