Janet Croon
Janet Croon asked Frances Mayes:

I am so thirlled to be able to ask you a question! I am writing a piece of historical fiction, set in the American Civil War. It is highly based on factual evidence, but parts of it are strictly fiction as they fill in the blank pieces of a very romantic story. I am finding there is a fine line between writing history and writing historical fiction! What kind of advice can you give a new novelist?

Frances Mayes Brava for you! Sorry I never have ventured into what you are writing. My only advice is to study how other authors you admire have tackled this issue. Stay true to the voices of the main characters and trust your instincts, since this period has so strongly drawn you.