Goodreads asked Timothy Cole:

Timothy Cole All my inspiration occurs just like everyone else's: in the fleeting moments before falling asleep in the dark, next to my slumbering--and easily disturbed--spouse, driving through the countryside, or in the middle of meetings. Naturally, it's fleeting and unrecorded; as a result, most of my inspirations account for little.
What does count is that I sit down with pen and paper or laptop and just start in telling a story. Some people outline an idea, making sketches of characters and identifying plots with prescribed endings. But others of us live in the story, waiting for our characters to join and introduce themselves; the plot unfolds and we wait for the climax and epilog to reveal itself to us. That's me.