Christine
Christine asked:

Appropriate for 12 year old?

To answer questions about Dune, please sign up.
Rafael Patacas I'd say it's readable for a 12 year old ( well, as in not inappropriate) but maybe it'd be better apreciated in a couple of years. at that age i'd advise "have spacesuit will travel" by Heinlein or "Ender's game" by O.S.Card as lighter books.
Avaminn F'nett Appropriate, yes. But I don't think most 12 year-olds would find it that interesting. Smart 12 year-olds who like fantasy and sci-fi books would like it, though.
Lucas Well, seeing as I am a 12 year old reading this book I would suggest this book to many people, im not that far into the book but I think that it's a great book so far. I would definitely recommend this to my friends.
John Dodds I read it when I was about 11 or 12 (maybe even the advanced age of 13) and I loved it. If a 12 year old wants to read something that sophisticated, great! If the young person finds it slightly dull because of the politics, etc, they can decide if it's for them or not. Come on, folks - kids are surrounded by far less appropriate material, readily available even on mainstream TV. Reading adult science fiction as a boy encouraged me more than anything else to seek out the classics, non-fiction, experimental fiction, you name it. So, yes, why shouldn't a 12 year old read it?
Vanyo666 It does have some sexually suggestive scenes (for instance the attempted rape of Jessica) even if there is nothing explicit. If that is something you would disapprove of, you may want to hold off on this one.
Sam theres a lot of drug use and i just got to a part with rape so like. depends on what you think is appropriate for 12 year olds (imo i would not give this to a child.)

i also now realise the 12 year old is 18 so like yeah give it to them.
Nino Arcano in my opinion, no. 15 =16 is better. even through im 23 and reading it now
Romain Thouvenin I agree with Rafael. While a child may like the plot, its complexity and the language used could make it hard to read for a 12-year old. Also it deals with philosophic / religious / society topics that would be more appreciated as a young adult. Myself I read it when I was 18, and I think I should read it gain.
Henry Johnston I just read it today at 14 and the book is absolutely fine for a 12 year old.
Anja Petković I first read it when I was around twelve. I loved the first few books, later I got bored. That's how it is with children. But now I am re-reading it all and just now realizing how much I didn't understand at the time. So yeah, suitable, but cofusing.
Michael Barlow After reading Stephen King's IT, I appreciate this question of appropriateness, not just in being able to read, but if the content is appropriate. I like that the protagonist, Paul Atreides is 15 (at least at the beginning of the book), despite what the movie seems to show him looking older. I'm sure Kyle MacLachlan was older when they filmed that movie version.
Dr. Whiskers Tough call. I'd say "no." I believe I was 14 (maybe 15 or 16) the first time I read it. It's a little hard to digest at any age, due to a lot of fictional words and a very dense plot. They may be able to get the just of things, but a lot would go over their heads. Particularly the deep cuts into religion and politics. On the flip side, it's very rereadable and anyone (of any age) would pick up new things on a second read through.
Juan Olmedilla Arregui I read it at about that age. I enjoyed it enormously and it made a lasting impact on me. I am an avid reader and I read every type of book, not only science fiction, also classical literature, essays, history, etc. This book is, no doubt, a classic, not only of the science fiction genre but in the more general sense.
To this day I still recite the Bene Gesserit Fear litany when I am in stress and I need to calm down and relax.
Jeff I read it when I was 12. I found it a bit of a slog at the time, but it didn't seem inappropriate in terms of sex or violence.
Len Huppe Dune can be read at many levels. On the surface it is among the greatest science fiction ever written. So yes, it can be read by any 12 year old. However, it asks a lot of important questions about the human condition. In that sense it is a very provocative book. Highly recommended for any serious reader.
Newly Wardell Nah, I'd wait a year or 2. But any book is a children's book if a child can read.
Jeromy Teeples I read it when I was a few years older (14 I believe) but I don't find the content to be objectionable for any age.
L Cha Good apart from the pedophilia.
Mommooshka I think it would be a great read-aloud book to read to your 12 year old. You both would enjoy it more and could discuss it together! Reading aloud to your pre-teens and teenagers is a great bonding experience and also allows them to hear books that may be beyond their current reading skills. Our family of 4 read all the Harry Potter books aloud together and we all loved it!
Andri Xhitoni I don't see anything wrong with reading Dune at the age of 12. However as this question seems already 6 years old, may I suggest it's about time you re-read it?

I have read the whole series three times so far, and I am glad that I did. Each time I return to Dune, it always seems to have something new to point out. That is the hallmark of a classic.
Cynthia Heinrichs I read it when I was 12 and was able to follow the main story, but when I read it again at 18 it was as if I had read a different book. I have read it half a dozen times since and have always gotten something new out of it. It's that kind of book. I'd say that if a 12-year old wants to read it, let them. Being introduced to Dune early cannot be considered a bad thing.
John Lloyd I read it when I was 6.
Timothy Morrison hard to tell. it depends on the 12
Abigail I'm 12 and I'm reading it right now, I'm at an honors/above grade level, and I think that so far it is great for my age! However, it depends on the maturity of the 12 year old. I personally like books like this one so I think it is great for me.
David Cooper Well, I hope 12 year olds don't like the book. Because I like the book and i'm 30. I'm a lot different than a 12 year old, emotionally and physical. If a 12 year old does not like the book then I can accurately conjecture that the book is more suitable to my tastes as a 30 year old.
Handy Absolutely, I was 12 when I read it and it had a lasting impact on me.
Dave Vroman Appropriate Maybe. The reader's world of Dune is filled with intrigue, murder, extreme stress and much more. The writing is extremely rich in imagery in which I find new levels of the story every time I read it and I have read it several times. A twelve year old who reads and understands this story would be a genius. This story is much more aligned with the college student.
Calico As a twelve year old, I can say I enjoyed this book a lot, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to those of that age.
Alten I would even say 12 is the maximum age a person could enjoy this badly written science fiction melodrama. But who am I to judge? :)
Ciprian Hanga I read it at about 15, I liked it a lot. I would've read it earlier, but in my country it was published only then for the first time.
Encyclopedia I was no older than 12 when I read it, and I loved it. I saw the movie in the theaters when it came out, too, and I would have 12 or 13 then. I read and enjoyed several of the sequels as well. I should add that I read well above my grade level, but a 12 year old who reads similarly advanced books should be able to read Dune.
Image for Dune