Srikumar Krishna Iyer

Will you recommend this book to me? If yes, Is this a quick-read? Can I finish this off once I pick it up within a week, maybe?

To answer questions about The Girl on the Train, please sign up.
Jean Labrador I had to force myself to continue reading this book, so it took longer than usual. I would not, not not, compare it to Gone Girl in any way. Gone Girl was a good novel and well written. Disliked all of the characters in Girl on the Train immensely. Cannot understand why all the hype about this book.
Sherry Between work, my family, and a short attention span (thanks, Facebook), I often take quite some time to read books lately even when I am really enjoying them. I read this one in less than three days because I could barely put it down. It was the kind of book that had me reading while I stood at the stove stirring pots and kept me up too late at night just because I couldn't get enough.
Emily It's un-put-down-able so you'll probably read it really quickly! I did, I was up to all hours without even realising time was passing! It can easily be finished in far less than a week.
Peggy Waxter I thought the story was too drawn out. I kept putting the book down and had to force myself to finish it. The last 50 pages are exciting but that's about it.
Garima The author juggles well with all characters and creates a suspense. The author creates a hole and as we travel through the rugged mysterious hole, we concentrate on just reaching out to lights.
The book, The Girl on the train, is well structured and is a perfect blend of all spices. And this book is 3 days book.
Stefanie YES, read in a matter of days
Jen Brown Cannot recommend.
Theresa I wanted a book that I couldn't put down, and this was it. Had me hooked instantly, and for someone who doesn't get time to read, I made time for this book.

Get it, you will love
Heather Gilbert Yes--I am about to finish it in a day. Can't put it down.
Jennifer Agree with Jean Labrador fully! So hard to finish this book. Characters are just so unlikable.
Deedra Climer I finished it in two sittings. There are a lot of moving parts to keep in order (all the characters have rich, imperfect lives) but it's otherwise an easy read.
Marian I started it yesterday and already half through today:)
Ben You can easily read this in a day but I wouldn't recommend you bother
Andreea I think this would get mixed reactions, you either cannot put it down or you force yourself to read it. I experienced the former and I usually find it difficult to find a book that I can't wait to have the time to read.
Chris F. Characters are boring, and some so similar that it is hard to tell them apart. For instance I kept asking myself, which drunkard is this? A real collection of unlikable characters.Overrated in the extreme. Motivation of characters not always obvious, and sometimes not convincing. I am a fast and usually good reader but this book challenged me. The game is not worth the candle but my book group selected this based on top reviews. What am I going to do??! I shall have to read it. It is the worst book in the 25 years we have been meeting.
Lucy Olivera I had to force myself to take breaks when reading it, or I could have done it in one sitting. When I finished the book all I could say was Wow.
Barb I didn't like Girl on a Train at all. I didn't even get to the end. I thought Gone Girl was great. It moved a lot faster and kept my interest.
Barbara finished it in 2 days, but think I should re-read it; complex, at times convoluted story that sometimes doesn't stick with the threads of the story; a thriller, to be sure, but neglects to tie up some details that should have been evident to Rachel. Rings a bit hollow trying to tie story together
Pam Yes, I recommend it and it's a quick read! I couldn't put it down and, like Emily, stayed up until 2:00 a.m. to finish it.
Hollie Konold I read this in a week and I am a slooooow reader.
Helga Groll I found it hard to put down and read it really quickly, there are some seriously messed up characters, and the end could have been a bit better maybe, but I really enjoyed. I read it on a train, and found it quite relatable (in terms of being a commuter, life in London, wondering what's going on in the houses and people you pass on your daily commute)
Sama Samrin Recommend? - Yes.
Quick-read? - Kind of, like I kept taking 2-minute song breaks every few pages :v but I finished it within one night :p
Finish up within a week? - DEFINITELY :D
Wendy Guan Yes, I would recommend this book. You can finish this book very quick, it's gripping. You can take it slow too if you like. And don't worry about if you think you forget what you have read a week ago, you would get all your memory back immediately as you open your page.
PAUL VAUGHN Yes! It's that suspenseful!
Jody Foster I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It was too slow paced for me and as many others have said, the characters are all unlikable. After struggling with this for a week and reading only about half of it, I read the plot review of it on Wikipedia. Thanks Wikipedia for sparing me from having to read the other half of the book.
Marylou I had to force myself to read this book. I did not like being in the main character's head.
I haven't read Gone Girl and after reading this, I don't plan to.
Cara I also hated Gone Girl. I KEPT reading it thinking it was going to be a good mystery, which I love. And, then I just hated that woman. Ugh! Girl on a Train is different. It was better, and I didn't hate it. The main character, Rachel, is weak.
Mary I was able to put it down for days at a time. This book is way overrated as far as I'm concerned. Very predictable. I had it figured out halfway through and I seldom do that.
Lamya Usually takes me a month to finish a book, but finished this in 2 weeks. So good
Srikumar Krishna Iyer Thnx all.......I ll start it this week............based on all ur recommendations....
Jack Mccarron It seems like there is a steady variety of opinions. I would say go for it and see for yourself.
Mick I read it in 3 days,really easy to read and very enjoyable.Great for reading on a train journey.
Nicole Can easily read in a day. The language itself is clear and easy to read. I think it's just hard to read because the first part lacks action and is about a depressed alcoholic (which people find is a bit of a drag).

But worth it if you can persist!
Alejandro Gonzalez You can finish it within an hour. You open it, you read the first 50 pages, discover the murderer, realize how bad it's written and then throw the book away. Done!
Marco Baiocco I'm a late comer for this question, just wanted to add to the record that I finished it in one day. And yes, I am a quick and avid reader, but it usually takes me a week or two to read a novel...
Marie no. boring. It took me 2 days to read 25 boring pages. I can usually read 25 pages an hour.
Chayma Saguem finished in two days , and I should re-read it once and once again
I got addicted to it.
Aly So Srikumar, did you end up reading it? I had started it last year but then got pneumonia right after starting it & was so terribly sick that I couldn't even read. Also, always Busy with 3 active teens & a hubby that travels. I picked it up again 2-3 months ago & restarted it (had only read 1 chapter last year). Finished it in a ~2 days, & stayed up till all hours of the a.m. I didn't want to put it down. As I was reading I went back a few times to tie everything together & see the clues that she hid so cleverly that I overlooked the 1st time. Still surprising ending. The book like a train, starts off slowly, then builds, & at the end feels like you can't get off, as it goes speeding by! Thrilling & sad, intriguing & realistic, I got drawn into the lives of the characters because of the mystery & wanting to find out 'who dunnit?'.
Dani Baxter I read it in one day.
Ruth Ann Within a week? I read it in one day. I was thinking I might not finish it, so I hunkered down and kept on reading....
Saad K I've only sampled the sample and it didn't lead to a purchase. The writing style was alluring, but the more I got to know this stalker prying into the lives of strangers the more I wished someone striked a conversation with the poor drunk, to wake her from her bleak dreaming and into the present. It was unreal she even had it etched into her memory what some couple were doing in the bathroom..from there onwards, I didn't care for her mind, I know she goes onto thrill us cracking some murder but it was too grim for my continual.
Arnaud I've read it in 3 days.
Jessica Troske I'm on day three and only have 36 pages left. I think it's fantastic and very difficult to put down once started. Good luck! I hope you like it!
Kathy Best to read it really fast, so you don't have too much time to mull over how badly it's written and how manipulatively the writer has covered up the thinness of the plot and characterisation. I read it in a day and then spent the next day wondering why I wasted my time.
Mary Yes, it is definitely doable to finish this in a week. I finished it within a few days because I was hooked.
Joanne It took me one week. It was a little drawn out and repetitious in a few places, but overall I found it a quick, interesting read.
Juliann You could easily finish it in a week, it isn't that long of a book. I didn't think it was bad, but didn't care for the too-neatly-tied-up and lazy ending. I've read complaints that the female characters were unlikeable and weak in contrast to empowered females, but realistically, broken and flawed women do exist and have their stories.
Deborah Yes, I would recommend it. Quick depends on you. I found I wanted to take my time with it. You kind of become Rachel, and that is s l o w.
Dianne This is a quick read. haven't read gone girl so cannot compare. The beginning of the book is a bit depressing but once you get into it, it is a page turner.
Tammy I finished the book in two days.
Nancy Mendez Very quick read. I would recommend this novel to you if you like a good mystery.
Jeffrey Gao Yeah, you could probably read it in less than a week
Tadeja I've read it in a day. Really enjoyed the author's writing style!
Kel Wern It's slow to get going but once it did, I was hooked. I finished it in about 4 days.
Christy I recommend it .I had a hard time putting it down.
Tricia I couldn't put it down and read it in less than 2 days.
Julia Hörmayer You can definitely finish it in a week, I did in two days but only because I had the time. The beginning is incredibly boring and I had to force myself to continue reading. Only the last, I don't know 50? maybe even 100 pages were really fast-paced.
Elaine Ball I would totally recommend this book, it was compelling, interesting, hard to put down. I think it was a LOT like Gone Girl, but with a more satisfying ending. Kept my interest,characters well developed, suspense, twist at the end, very good read.
Jean Gallo I read this in 2 days. I enjoyed it more than Gone Girl (similar but better in my opinion. I didn't want to put it down.
Michelene Esposito I only have time to read in the evenings and I couldn't put this one down each night. So, yes, you can finish it in a week!
Kate Symonds I read this book in about four days (quite quick for me) it is un-put- down able. But I cannot say I liked any of the characters. I just needed to know whodunit.
I much much preferred Gone Girl and cannot really see why it is comparable... apart from the psycho -woman thing.
The last quarter is a race to the finish - will keep you up till you're done!
Debra This was one of those books that was hard to put down and I finished it in two days.
Sidna I started it, but had difficulty getting into it. For two or three weeks, I put it down and read other things. Then I picked it up one day and read 3/4 of it in on sitting. Once I got into it, I didn't want to put it down! Don't start it until you have a few hours to read.
Libby I didn't care for the book myself. I found it depressing.
Tina Yes, IMHO. I'm usually a 5 page atta time reader but with this book, well, I couldn't put it down. Pages just seemed to turn themselves. Record time for me I had it read in a week!
Kayla I read half of this book yesterday from 10:30 am to 2:00 pm, and finished it when I got home from work between 9:30 and midnight. For me, it was hard to put down!
Nancy Smith I thought the book started out slow, but it didn't take too long to get to that place where you were hooked in. It's dark and gritty with all the characters being unattractive, but you hope the whole book for their redemption. I like the structure of the story and the author's use of language was beautiful in places.
Jennifer Maloney This was a very good book, but no, it's not a quick read. It's really quite long actually.

I did finish it in just over a week, but I read pretty fast and I spent several hours every day reading it. If you really get into it and read it non-stop, then you probably could finish it in a week, but don't go into it expecting that it'll be a quick read.
Diane Smith Yes, a quick read and exciting.
Moa I read this in 2-3 days.
Aisling Dowdall Yes, definately. It's a quick read, but extremely well written and gripping.
Cardmaker Yes, I'd recommend it. And, yes, it's a quick read. I started it yesterday and finished it today.
Suzann loved it. read it today during blizzard/snow day. had to finish
Jackie I bought the book on Saturday. 2 days later I'm almost done.
Mrs. P I read it in a day.

Amber Casaurang Yes I would recommend! Its definitely a quick read, I started and finished in one evening.
Diane I read it in 2 days (40 minute train ride one way, took 4 train rides and 2 lunch breaks of 30 minutes each).
Rachel I read it in just a few days. It was a fast read.
Holly Seddon Yes and yes. Started it two days ago and just finished.
Tracey Can definitely read within a week. I read it in a weekend.
Sandip Timsina Well, I am not a thriller-suspense kind of reader, but I found this book captivating. The story telling was something I really loved. I finished the book in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Faith I think this book is overrated.
Camille Garoche YES it is a matter of hours!!!
Sahar Seidi Khorramabadi I got addicted to it actually,and could not put it down.So I finished it just in a week but now that it's finished I think the story was a shame and had nothing new in it.All about adultery and lying ...Now I am starting to hate it LOL
Ella Brooklyn The starting might bore you a little but once you start you will love it. I finished it in two sittings and it was mind blowing.
Kathie You can definitely read it in a week.
Christine I finished it in one sitting - 3.5 hours. Couldn't put it down.
Chantelle Yes, it's a quick read. I find that I read thoroughly and take slightly longer than the average person and I finished in a day and a half (in between normal life).
Liz Short answer: yes. I do recommend it (although I only rated it a "3"). Picked it up on Friday and finished it by Sunday.
Paulette Eister For me it was a slow start in trying to get into this book. But once I did, I've been trying to read the book as fast as I can. I am admittedly a slow reader, but I managed to get halfway through the book in one afternoon & evening, & hated to put it down to go to bed. Yes, it can be finished in less than a week.
Kathy I'm halfway through this book and am enjoying it immensely. Yes, I think it could be a quick-read, so if that's what you are looking for, this would fit the bill. Personally, I like to take my time with a book, so with this one, I am actually forcing myself to slow down and take it a chapter at a time, because I am loving it so much, I don't want it to end.
Kenneth Iltz Fast read. Three or four days for me.
Leigh-Anne Lees Easy. Read it in a day.
Image for The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins (Goodreads Author)