♛primadonna♛

Is this book a good idea to read aloud to children ages 4-12? What ages would it interest and/or is it purely YA?

To answer questions about The Neverending Story, please sign up.
Catherine I read it to my 6 year old and she loves it. I did, however, skip over or adjust sections I felt she would be too sensitive to. Or, rather, rephrase them so she could still hear about them but in a manner more suitable to her age. She said the best thing is that this book has no pictures so she can imagine instead.
Eva This book was read to me from the time I was a toddler. My aunt read it aloud while I was playing. Later, when I read it myself, I remembered parts of it and it felt really special, like I'd grown up with this story.
I never got nightmares from it, but I tried to build Fantasia out of Legos at some point in Kindergarden.
Carly I think it depends on the maturity of the child, not the age of the child. We also spend way too much time sheltering our children from things that could open their minds.
jencurlygurl I think it's an excellent book to read for kids between 4-12. I know my godchildren tend to be a bit afraid of the wolf in the movie version so if the get scared, that might be the part to soften up a bit. Also I remember reading it very young and the part where *spoiler alert*

Artax sinks in the swamp made me so so sad.
Otherwise, in my opinion every kid should read this! It's such an integral part in my falling in love with reading when I was young.

Good luck and hope they like/liked it!
Stephanie Bradley I think 4 is too young for this story. Depending on the maturity of the child perhaps from 7+ up to adult.
Krisis I read this book when I was 8 years old and I loved it. One of my friends at school was reading it and I found it in a book store when I was on summer vacation. It was the start of my need of books for every summer :)
Pedro Pouchucq Though this story contains fantastic elements, and a child would easily enjoy it; I don't thing the target public is really children. Some parts are even hard to understand clearly, and there're definitely some messages that go beyond the story it self. This author writes using metaphores, he touches a lot of substantial or existentialism paradigms.
I'm 20 and I loved reading it. However, I'm not a parent, so I couldn't tell you right if it's suitable for your children. I'd just say that if they like it, perhaps they should also read it when they get older. :)
Jim I recommend this book as a sleep aide. If you read it aloud to children (or adults), they--and you--will be asleep in five minutes.
Vanessa I'm reading it to my 6 and 8 year olds. They're both enjoying it, though I do find some parts a little difficult to digest. My kids do not like hearing about death. At all. I would agree with Catherine's advice to rephrase some parts, though I don't do it myself. I think the ideal age would be 7 or 8+.
K.M. Carter I read this aloud to a school age summer camp, one chapter per day. I did the voices. It was awesome.
Francisco Liaci It definitely is!

I had almost forgotten about this story, and now that a friend of mine is reading it, I remembered the first time I came across this wonderful tale.

Suitable for all ages, no doubt... I think that my 4-year-old niece would also love it!
Abby Rose I read it when I was nine or ten and had no problems...
S.J. Breier I read it around the age of 11, and it remains among my favorite book memories; the surprise is worth waiting for, when it comes up in popular culture.
Jessica Turner I think so. But Like Catherine said you might need to adjust things slightly.
Meredith My 4 year old absolutely loved it. In a few parts, you may need to gloss over some descriptions, because there are some scary passages. We did stop to discuss things that were going on, vocabulary, etc., but a mature kiddo will dive right in.
Amy Definitely 6 or 7 years...
Image for The Neverending Story