Kari Ann
Kari Ann asked:

To answer questions about Little Women, please sign up.
Trix Wilkins Wow I felt the plunge in my heart when Amy burned Jo's book. It was hard to redeem Amy as a character after that, and Alcott almost came close when Amy behaved so graciously at the Chesters' fair. But I think the real clincher for me, that made me really quite dislike her character, was when Jo and Amy went out making calls - and Amy tells Jo she should've been more friendly to Tudor (who is the son of a lord or some such), and less friendly to Tommy (who is the son of a grocer), purely because of their rank, regardless of their character, regardless of anything but their rank in society. Amy lost me at that point.
b
Octavia Cade
E I think that Amy is selfish, but she is also one of the book's most authentic characters! She is almost equal to Jo in my eyes. It would have been a bit annoying growing up under Jo, and who knows, maybe I would have burned her manuscript too. Haha, in fact I think Amy was pretty brave to risk Jo's wrath.
Her looks combined with good character make her into an unconventional beauty with an imperfect nose and too-big smile. She has a bad singing voice. She pursues art even though she's not good at it. She tries to be cultured even when none of her siblings care for it.
And she and Laurie are much better suited! It worked out like it was meant to! So in my opinion Amy is a great character who is interesting and unconventional and human and relatable. :)
Bryn
Peyton One of the book's strengths is that the characters grow through the story, in realistic and sympathetic ways. The book takes the sisters from childhood, through adolescence, into adulthood. Along the way, they each grow. Meg learns to value her family over the frills and fancies of a rich life. Beth learns to face her fears of the unknown, first by facing Mr. Laurence and ultimately by marching bravely into death. Jo learns to temper her wildness and use it for her benefit instead of her detriment. And Amy learns that love is more important than security. Amy's burning of Jo's manuscript is childish in every sense of the word: impetuous, impossible to take back, and ultimately forgivable. It is an act of childish aggression, and should not be held against the Amy that we see at the end of the book (for one thing: Jo doesn't!). Like Jo, Amy learns to curb her temper and to appreciate the important aspects of life. And while her ultimate marriage to Laurie still irritates some readers, it is a realistic and beautiful depiction of the way our relationships change as we mature.
Emma Trahan Well personally I do not like Amy, but I think that sometimes she can be really smart.
Rachel Amy is exactly like my little sister - spoilt and petted by the rest of the family, but she has her moments. People are flawed: Amy wasn't perfect either. She was delightfully real.
a v a Honestly, I see why a lot of people don't like Amy. She's portrayed as a selfish, self-centered child at the beginning of the book. Always worrying about her appearance and what people thought of her. But I think the reason Alcott did this was to show the difference in personality of the sisters. I think Jo and Amy's relationship is really realistic and shows the readers that not everything is always good and happy, and that people will disagree and fight sometimes.

But as Amy grows up and matures, I don't really see this selfish side of her anymore. Instead, I see a strong young lady who wants to pursue her talent. I especially think she matures a lot at the art fair, as well as her time in Europe.

Personally, Amy is one of my favorites. I definitely think that out of all the sisters in the book, she matures the most because she started out as the youngest. I loved getting to see her become a strong young woman, and how she changed from being self centered.

As for the whole romance between Amy and Laurie...I prefer it over Jo and Laurie. Amy truly is in love with Laurie, while Jo just loves him as a brother or friend. Amy is just much better suited as a partner for Laurie than Jo is. So, I guess those are my thoughts...
Elizabeth Schomaker
Shobana Sankar Amy was definitely very selfish in my opinion. Her journey to Europe isn't the low point. Her not returning from Europe when Beth was sick and her family could've used her support is the absolute low point. I can't understand why she didn't return to see her sister on her deathbed although there was nothing she could do to help Beth. The Marches did tell her (although only a bit later) that Beth was sick and any concerned sister should have come to visit her dying sister no matter how much her family tells her not to come back.
I also feel that Laurie was selfish at that time. His best friend (yes, she did break his heart) was sad and lonely because of her family condition. He should have come to support her if he really did care for her. Rejecting his marriage proposal was not a good enough reason for him to not give Jo a shoulder to cry when she needed him.
Gemma I had a grudge against Amy after she married Laurie! And I thought she could be quite cold, especially while in Europe. But I like her a little anyway. :)
Image for Little Women