Jeff
Jeff asked Kevin J. Anderson:

I’m a fan of your writing by dictation process and, with recent twins & a toddler, am looking toward that for my own projects. I’ve read that you extensively outline your novels. What material do you include in what you carry on dictation hikes, if it’s different from your outline? How has your process of what to include – both for outlines or dictation notes - evolved? Thanks!

Kevin J. Anderson Hi Jeff. I outline extensively, chapter by chapter, and write a brief 3-4 sentence description of what happens in that chapter, the point of view, sometimes the scene/setting. I take that short paragraph with me for the two or three chapters I intend to write during that walk, keep focused on THAT chapter instead of the sprawling big picture, and I talk to myself. I hope that helps.