Jeffrey Masters
Jeffrey Masters asked Frances Mayes:

Do you tend to stick in the memoir and travel memoir world when selecting books to read? Who are some of your favorite authors alive today?

Frances Mayes I read rather omnivorously. I like reading about architecture. I love the essay form and thought Things That Are by Amy Leach was very fresh. Recently, in planes on the book tour for Under Magnolia, I read Bobcat, short stories by Rebecca Lee, the superb Naples trilogy by Elena Ferrante, poetry by C.D. Wright, and the mind-altering Far From the Tree by Andrew Soloman. All highly recommended. Some of my favorites writers are my neighbors here in Hillsborough NC: Lee Smith, Allan Gurganus, Jill McCorkle, Michael Malone. No longer alive, due to a car accident, W.G. Sebald is top of my list.