Goodreads asked Lorin Neikirk:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Lorin Neikirk Writing is it's own reward, so the best thing about writing is the act of writing. Writing is an art, and like a painter, it's the process that brings the most joy and the rest is icing on the cake.

Aside from that, for me the best thing about being an author is being able to help more people by reaching a larger audience. I love to give personalized assistance, but it's also quite humbling when you can take the knowledge and expertise that you have and touch many more people. Along a similar vein, receiving positive feedback for what I write is extremely rewarding. It can be a little daunting too! When your words have a profound effect, your responsibility grows. Positive feedback is another person's acknowledgment that you did a good job. And that is something that I truly love.