Geoff
Geoff asked Michael J. Sullivan:

Hi, Michael. I remember reading somewhere that your upcoming series, The First Empire, is related to the Riyria books. Is this true? And will the connections be accessible to new readers and exciting for those of us who are already Riyria fans? Thanks, Geoff

Michael J. Sullivan Hey Geoff, thanks for dropping by and asking.You are correct there are some connections between the two series...and yes the intention is for it to be a "jumping in" point for new readers as well as something interesting for Riyria veterans.

The basic premise revolves around the fact, that much of what I've been telling you about the history of Elan...in particular about Novron's role in forming the First Empire...has been...well...less than truthful. What I wanted to do is explore how real events are distorted over time and bare little resemble to what actually occurred. In particular I wanted to show how the extraordinary feats of some ordinary people are usurped by those in power to create a mythology to suit their political agenda. For those who know nothing about Elan in the time of Royce and Hadrian, the story will be complete and standalone so anyone can pick it up. But for those who have been reading my other works, they'll learn some things about Elan's past that might be eye-opening.