David
David asked Jeff VanderMeer:

When I got my book published, I was told that I couldn't publish another book for two years, for fear of cannibalizing my own sales. You're releasing three hardbacks in a year. Is this a new publishing idea--a reflection, say, of pressure from ebooks (where single authors sell many books a year)--or is it just a trilogy-specific marketing plan that isn't reacting to ebook realities at all? Why did they let you do it?

Jeff VanderMeer I don't think it's new--in various genres we've seen multiple books in one year before. But it's new for FSG and The Fourth Estate, which creates some buzz on its own, and it's perhaps new to have a full-on strategy behind it. I do think it's definitely trilogy-specific. You couldn't use this strategy, necessarily, for three stand-alones. Although it's worth noting that FSG successfully did just that for their author Sjon, with one hardcover and two trade paperbacks all released simultaneously. It was FSG's idea, too, not mine, but I heartily endorsed it.