Sherri
Sherri asked Andy Weir:

As someone who doesn't typically read sci-fi, I greatly appreciated how accessible and understandable the technical aspects of the story were presented (and usually with humor!). Was that a constant struggle for you, to make it both believable to the science community while keeping non-scientific readers hooked?

Andy Weir It was a lot of research and math, but I wouldn't call it a struggle. Actually, the science helped me come up with challenges for Mark. As for keeping non-scientific readers happy, I'll admit: at the time I wrote the book, I wasn't even thinking of non-scientific readers. I wrote it as a serial for my website's regular readers. And they are very scientifically-minded people.
Andy Weir