Leonie
Leonie asked Jojo Moyes:

Does music help you write? Like, does it inspire you? If so, what kind of music do you like?

Jojo Moyes Hi Leonie. I do listen to music. Most of my books have a 'theme tune' that I play quite often, and helps remind me of the tone of a book. For example when I wrote a book called The Horse Dancer, about a girl who runs away with a horse, I used to listen to Rupert Wainwright's Agnus Dei, and I would get a really clear picture of the silhouette of a girl alone on a horse. For The Girl You Left Behind, when I wanted to evoke the cold and bleakness of 1916 wartorn France, I used Riceboy Sleeps Jonsi and Alex. I can't listen to anything with lyrics (too distracting!), so it's often ambient or classical music.