David Fruhling
David Fruhling asked Andy Weir:

I just recently read The Martian and absolutely loved it! I've got a couple questions: 1. What other books inspired you? AKA, if I really enjoyed The Martian, what other books do you think I'll like? :) 2. How much time did you spend doing research? There's a lot of technical detail in the book! 3. What are you currently reading? Thank you for a great read (and upcoming movie - way to go!)

Andy Weir 1. I suggest "Mars" by Ben Bova. Also "Red Planet" by Heinlein. Also, though it's a completely different kind of Sci-Fi book, I highly recommend "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.

2. It took me three years to write the book. I did research throughout that time.

3. Right this moment I'm reading "The Door" by Peter Clines. It's an advance copy; the book hasn't been published yet. So I get to read it and you don't. Neener neener neener.
Andy Weir