Steven
Steven asked Brian Herbert:

Your father created an amazing universe. You and Kevin have expanded upon and in my opinion enriched the Dune-verse. Each time I read one of the Brian and Kevin Dune novels, one question always comes to mind. Just how extensive were your father's notes?

Brian Herbert I first started talking with Kevin J. Anderson about continuing the Dune series in early 1997. We spoke by phone and by letter until actually meeting in Seattle in May, 1997. Around that time, I learned from an estate attorney that Frank Herbert had two safety deposit boxes in Bellevue, Washington (a suburb of Seattle) that had not been opened since Dad’s death 11 years earlier. My mother and father died in 1984 and 1986 respectively, and their estates were so complex that they didn’t close for many years after they passed away.
When I went with an estate attorney to inventory the contents of the two safety deposit boxes, I was astounded to find floppy computer disks and a printout that Dad made (of around 30 pages), outlining the plot of an uncompleted Dune-series novel with a working title of “Dune 7.” While Kevin and I decided not to begin with that story, we eventually did write it – as two novels, HUNTERS OF DUNE and SANDWORMS OF DUNE. We also have other notes of Frank Herbert’s that were found in storage, but they are bits and pieces of information that we can only adapt for a short epigraph here and there, or – as we did in only one case – as a portion of a chapter.