A Goodreads user asked Jeff Kinney:

Hi, Jeff! I have read almost all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, and I was wondering...would you ever write anything for older kids? I mean, I love your books! But I'm 14, and my lexile is 1400. They're hilarious, I just wish they were longer or had more content. Have you considered writing longer fiction, maybe without illustrations? Also, did you help produce the diary of a wimpy kid movies?

Jeff Kinney That's a great question! I'm afraid I'll be stuck in the 8-12 range forever. I'll leave true YA to authors who are more comfortable writing for older kids. Also, I use illustrations as a crutch :) I did help produce the Wimpy Kid movies... I'm hoping to write the next one!
Jeff Kinney