A Goodreads user asked Gail Carriger:

Dearest Gail: Now that I'm reading Waistcoats and Weaponry I started wondering how did you approach the fashion part of the era. Did you first pick the year and then went to google the dresses or perhaps a petticoat cough your fancy and thus was the story's year picked? By the way, I am enjoying myself enormously with the last book.

Gail Carriger Heh heh. You've latched onto one of my comedy tricks. I actually picked Alexia's setting because the dresses were so crazy layered and colored, and the hats utterly bonkers. (You know Ivy's are all taken from actual fashion plates with only a few exceptions?) I knew Sophronia's time period would be earlier, but I picked the exact dates (you guessed it) because the dresses were so floofy. And... I did the same with Prudence (although the 1890s were all about crazy sleeves). It's nice to have a a natural comedy assist from the clothing of the day.