M.K.P. asked Keith R.A. DeCandido:

What's the procedure for writing tie-in books? Did you offer your proposal, or you were contacted by publisher or agent? And, for The Zoo Job, you were working with J.Rogers, or someone else?

Keith R.A. DeCandido The way tie-ins almost always work is that a publisher acquires the rights to do novels based on the property in question from the owner of that property -- for example, Penguin Putnam bought the rights to do LEVERAGE novels from Electric Entertainment -- and then the publisher hires writers (like me!) to write the books.

The writers generally work with the editor at the publishing house. The editor is the one who works with the licensor. In the case of LEVERAGE, it was with EE, and I believe that John Rogers his own self did the approvals (I know that he gave feedback on the outlines). That isn't always the case, mind you, but there's always SOMEONE at the company who owns the property who approves the material on behalf of that company.

About Goodreads Q&A

Ask and answer questions about books!

You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.

See Featured Authors Answering Questions

Learn more