Jared Rosen
Jared Rosen asked:

Is this translation good?

To answer questions about Don Quixote, please sign up.
Alyssa I'm not expert in Spanish, but it's extremely readable and communicates the fun of the novel well. Plus Grossman does her best to translate even word play, and it's surprising how often it works.
Gary I just finished reading the 1942 Putnam translation, and I had tried to read the Grossman edition, but I found it not as lyrical and the subtleties of true Spanish Comedy did not come out as I expected. The later was block like and became awkward prose. Since I have read Lope de Vega I found Cervantes also, a genius but the right translation makes all the difference. As it stands, and I have an extensive classics read repertoire, the Putnam classic, Don Quixote is the best novel I've ever read. topping Germinal, by Zola in a foot race challenge to the top.
Michal Toman I've read the first part so far (half the book), and it's quite well crafted. I have never read the original spanish version, but this generally quite easy to read and I rarely get any problems with the writing, despite very long dialogues.
Kyle This 2000 translation by John Rutherford was my choice when I sat down and compared different translations before choosing one to buy back in 2011. (It wasn't money, I was concerned if I'd enjoy reading 1100 pages).

I compared a paragraph when Ginés de Pasamonte is introduced between a few different translations using Google Books. I simply couldn't shake the impression that Rutherford's version was the easiest and most entertaining version to read.

I found a blog comparing, quickly, the different styles used by translators over the years (blog is called Frankly Curious, punch that and Don Quixote into Google and you'll find it) and his takeaway (that I agree with) is that Rutherford's version is the most entertaining to read.

Here's what I tell people: "I don't read many books, but I consider Don Quixote to be my favorite book - specifically the John Rutherford version. The writing style of it was so much fun to read that I swear it changed the way I wrote emails, text messages, and essays (I was in university at the time) for at least six months."

I'm hoping to re-read it this summer 2020. Which I never do with any other books.
Iris Hi! I´m spanish and the translation is good, the only problem you can find is that is old spanish not the actual spanish we talk.
I hope this can help.
Bye! :)
Lucy Day Werts .
This seems to be a question about John Rutherford's 2000 Penguin Classics translation.
.
Any professionally published translation is going to be pretty good by some standard. However, literary critics and general readers of course have differing opinions about how a translation should sound. Moreover, generally accepted standards for what constitutes a "good" translation change over time, so older translations may fall out of favor... or even, in the strange case of Tobias Smollett, rise back into it.
.
John Rutherford's translation has been praised, but not as widely or loudly as Edith Grossman's.
.
There are between 11 and 13 in-print translations in total, depending on how you count, and all of them have their fans. To learn why people prefer the different versions, visit the extensive list at We Love Translations: World Literature in English. There are extracts so that you can compare how different translations sound, links to relevant articles, and info such as book cover images, ISBNs, and pagecounts.
.
» What's the best translation of Don Quixote?
.
.
Mary Phillips This version was translated by Walter Starkie. It has ISBN 0 451 51821 7

Yes, this is a good translation. I have never found an ideal translation, to my mind, but this one is good. Copyright 1957 and 1964. My copy was printed in November, 1964.

The problem with translations is it is hard to include the multi-layer subtleties of the original piece of work when you are trying to also make sense in the target language.

The Walter Starkie version has places where I feel it does quite well.

The Spanish that Cervantes used has timing, rhythm, and lilt that is different from New World Spanish and American English. In the hands of a master, American English prose can put you in the flow or bliss zone, too. It takes craft.

One day, maybe I will translate it myself. That's probably more like a five-year project for me. I will need to spend more time in Spain.
Image for Don Quixote