Patricia
Patricia asked Caragh M. O'Brien:

Is there one particular book that had a big influence on you growing up? What are some books that you would recommend to a young girl/woman to peak their interest in reading and perhaps writing? You are such a thoughtful and gifted author, and I look forward to your reply.

Caragh M. O'Brien Hello, Patricia! A book that mattered to me when I was growing up was A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter because Elnora, this loner girl who loves nature, found her own way despite bullies and misery. For a young reader now who is also interested in writing, I'd suggest Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer, because the troubled students escape into strange journal worlds to face their traumas. I also recommend Pearson's A Kiss of Deception just for pure escapism and mind games. I hope this helps!