Simon
Simon asked Lisa McMann:

What made you choose those particular disasters for the visions series?

Lisa McMann Hi Simon,
I'll try to answer without totally spoiling things for others, but readers, beware.

The first disaster, in Crash, came from a dream, I think. And I felt like it was a disaster that one person alone could (just barely) handle. The disaster in Bang was one I honestly didn't want to tackle, but the idea wouldn't leave me alone, so I went there. It was a difficult subject and very sensitive, too, but I'm glad in the end that I chose it. And the third, in GASP, I had the title first and had several options that would go with the word gasp. What I eventually chose was something that seemed like it could be such a nice thing gone wrong, and it fit really well in the setting of suburban Chicago area (and I actually grew up in Michigan near the big lake, so I know it well). That contributed to that choice.