A Goodreads user asked Gabe Cole Novoa:

How long have you been writing? And what inspired you to write Beyond the Red? :)

Gabe Cole Novoa I’ve been writing with the intention of getting published for almost exactly nine years now. I started in October 2005 (I don’t remember the day, exactly) so…yes. Nine years.

As for what inspired me to write BEYOND THE RED, I’ll give you the short version. Basically, I’d come up with one of the main characters and the planet BtR takes place on long before it even crossed my mind to turn it into a book. Then two Aprils ago (ish), when I was brainstorming new book ideas and I decided it’d be really cool to write about aliens from the alien’s perspective, my brain was like hello, Ava, you already have an alien world developed, remember? and from there I basically started throwing in everything I love and the story developed from there.