Daniel
Daniel asked Christopher Rice:

I'm currently reading Light Before Day, and I can't but wonder where you got your material and how you went about doing your research for this book... as it's pretty spot on.... almost as if you as a writer had experienced a lot of it first hand... If you don't want to answer this in a public forum, I completely understand, but still wouldn't mind a private one... as I'm sure you know how to find me. :)

Christopher Rice It's really my attempt to write a hardboiled noir L.A detective thriller and so I wrote it while saturating in the classic dead white guys of hardboiled noir; Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain and, my personal favorite, Ross Macdonald. It's one of my most divisive books. People either love it or hate it. It was also written during an incredibly dark period in my life. I had just lost my father to brain cancer and as a result I was going through a period of profound personal transition.