Goodreads asked S.R. Karfelt:

S.R. Karfelt "Aspiring Writers"? That term makes me think we're talking about people who are thinking about writing, but haven't started yet--because if you're spending your time writing down your stories, you're a writer, published or not.

My advice would be to write--a lot--expect to sacrifice something in order to have writing time. You'll never "find" time to write. You have to take it, you have to steal it. I gave up television and a social life in order to spend the bulk of my time writing.

If you want to be published, you're embarking on a career, the writing world is a business like any endeavor. I'd recommend not worrying about that part if that reality overwhelms you. Just write. It takes time to find your voice and learn how to write your stories so that the reader gets the story. What I mean is what you have in your head must be translated onto the page in such a way that your reader is getting what you see. That takes time and trial and error. The way you get to that place is to write, write, write.

After you have a book written, or several, that you know are good--just jump right on into the writing world. You'll probably find many writers are more than willing to give you advice and information. We want to read more good stories! Give yourself time, and try to be patient, the process will take too long, but you CAN succeed as long as you NEVER give up, and NEVER stop writing.

Welcome. We've been waiting for you.