Mahmoud
Mahmoud asked:

If she was a Muslim (real one) and she was shot by American solider for defending her religion and her land would she have half the fame she is having right now?

Vivid This young woman took a bullet because she refused to sit down and shut up, period. Malala took a bullet because she had the unconditional love and encouragement of a father who made sure she recognized the depth of her value. A father who taught her never to sit down and shut up--- even as they were steeped in a culture which devalues women entirely, unquestioningly. It seems ridiculous to have to throw these facts into relief! Theirs was a deadly attitude to maintain, for both Malala and her beloved,intractable father. Malala was not indoctrinated to apologize for her sex or her intelligence. She was not taught to deny the emotions and tremendous cognitive abilities we are rewarded as sentient beings! And most crucially Malala did not internalize an indifference to her very existence---as are a never ending continuum of women--- no matter where they live or who they worship. What a condescending and minimizing question you pose!
Shailendra Have you even read the book? It seems you are one of the people from her homeland who have labelled her activism "a teen lust for fame". What she is standing and fighting for is a basic human right. Why don't you want education for girls? What harm education can do to any religion?

I am an Indian and I support her cause which is not her only but of all the girls and boys world-over who are out of their schools.
Kayla Malala is a real Muslim, but the fact that she is a Muslim is not why her story is so inspiring and incredible. She was shot in the head by the Taliban because she wanted to go to school. As Ghislaine said, she was protecting her human rights, not her religion.
Jen Malala would be famous no matter the situation because she is defending the right to learn and form opinions! Anyone who opposes that is against all religious teachings.
Clémence First : I don't think you (nor me) are qualified to judge if Malala is a "real" or "fake" muslim. Second : she was not shot by an American soldier, period. It's useless to make suppositions in order to diminish her story.
Ştefan Roşu Why get stuck on the question of religion, muslim or not? Religion has done enough harm as it is. We are too divided by race, nationality and religion. Let's focus on human values, human rights, human connection.
Jennifer Well, I'm probably the quintessential Christian American housewife, and I read this book because my book club was reading it. Before reading it, the only thing I "knew" about Islam was that a lot of people think those who belong to the religion like to kill people who belong to my religion. Basically, I knew I didn't know anything about Islam, and I didn't WANT to be prejudiced against it, but I had heard a lot more negative than positive about it. I do not personally know any Muslims, although if I were to meet one I would appreciate the opportunity to get to know him or her and judge for myself what they are like. For me, reading this book was like meeting a Muslim girl and being introduced to the religion for the first time as a belief system that does NOT advocate violence toward everyone who is "other." It opened a window for me into what actual Muslims really think and believe (because I do not believe that the Taliban and Isis represent real Muslims). If that is not defending her religion, then what is? How many minds similar to mine has Malala been able to open and enlighten? How would you rather that someone defend their beliefs? Open fire in a mall or something? Instead of creating even more hatred toward Islam, Malala expands understanding. Good for her. I consider her a true representative of her religion in the best possible way.
Fivefivefive Eatmyass I don't care what religion she is, although to clarify...she is a Muslim.

What I do care about is that she stood up to cowards. I can't wait to read this book by an obviously brilliant and brave person.

Oh. And a giant middle finger to the cowards who fear her and everything she stands for.
En I think before you pose such an analogy (although I disagree with your view that apparently 'fake' muslims exist - if you believe in a faith then you are part of it, any other criteria is made irrelevant by the very enterprise that you believe in it), you should do a little more research on your subject matter.

Perhaps you could make a valid point with this but without looking into it, you will just succeed in stirring up conflict by showing ignorance.
Emanuela I can see how people are upset by the question, but it is not wrong as a general principle. People nowadays are definitely more preoccupied with women's rights than with religious rights, especially when it comes to Muslims. And anyone who says otherwise is, sadly, in denial. I'm sure that, if an American soldier had shot her for defending her religion, first of all, it's likely we wouldn't have heard anything about it and secondly, if by chance the news spread about this, not that many people would be blaming the actions of the soldier. Maybe the fact that she is a teenage girl might help, but I'm not entirely sure. But come on, admit that most people would just think it was ok and maybe even not a bad thing to "get rid" of someone defending Muslims. It's definitely a sad reality, because it just goes to show how flawed our judgement is, but it's still the harsh reality of our times.
It definitely doesn't change the fact that she was very brave and she should keep doing what she does.
Andy Filgueira Clearly you did not read the book or her story. Thousands of people get shot by insurgents in the Middle East and throughout parts of the world the reason Malala is special is because she was shot for defending something she believed was a basic human right. And what makes her even more significant is that she continued to do so even after her survival, she chose not to stay quiet and continued to petition for her beliefs. She has remained a devout Muslim throughout all of her fame, she has never once appeared without a headcovering, she remains close to her family, prays regularly, and does not compromise her faith and her religious beliefs in spite of any fame she accrued.

Malala Yousafzai is an extremely brave young woman of impeccable character. Perhaps you should direct your cynicism elsewhere.
Megan Mahmoud, She IS a real Muslim and she's been fighting for the rights of young girls and that they be allowed to go to school in countries that forbid it!! She was shot in the head by the Taliban because of this! She was lucky to survive... THAT is why she's so well known!
Sue Donnelly yikes, you're a bit of an arse aren't u?
Mark How is Malala Yousafzai not a "real" Muslim? And regardless of who she is, or what religion she professes, if an American soldier shot a girl in the face because she wanted to go to school, I would be outraged, as I am (before you jump to conclusions) when drones kill civilians in any country.
ayeshaxbooks No she wouldn't be. Take an example of Ahed Temimi: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opin...
Where is the global feminists and humanitarians now? She was not shot by talibans so...
Madhusudan This is a hypothetical question. Even if we assume what you are saying is right..It doesn't mean that Malala should not have been recognized for what she did. Two wrongs doesn't make one right. It is good at least one such incident is highlighted and in future many more will. The question of religion and the place is irrelevant in this context.
sh_reads I don't know how to certify "real" Muslims. If you've been given some special powers by Allah, do share with the rest of us. Isn't she defending her religion and land by standing up to those who spread ignorance and extremism in the name of Islam. Or is Islam truly what the Taliban preach, according to you?
Brielle First of all, Malala is a real Muslim and second of all, she was shot by a member of the Taliban NOT an American soldier. Third, she did not plan on becoming "famous" she merely stood up for what she believed in and made sure that everyone knew the struggles that women in her country had to endure, which were no education or rights.
I can see that many others answered your ridiculous question, but I would know the facts first before claiming false accusations at a member of history.
Robert Well, , yes she would, and more. If she was a real Muslim (which I think she is) and she was giving a public speech in defense of of her religion and her land, and an American soldier shot her because she was doing so, she would be even more famous than she is now. Next question.
Ekam how can a muslim not be a real muslim? hahaha
Johanna Depends on if people wanted to read about that.
Asiya Assalamu' Alaikum! I want to first start off saying, that I am a Muslim, and I am a girl, who is American with Afghan roots, and who wear's hijab. The second thing I want to say, is that I COMPLETELY understand your hypothetical question, and I support it, but you should have worded it more politely and intelligently in order for people to get what you mean. For future reference, try that, so you can avoid all of the hate comments that have been spewed onto this discussion post/thread. As for the people who will keep posting and trying to respond to you rudely, ignore them and move on with your life. I have tried to respond to as many of the comments as I could, but they will not end and will keep on going no matter what. As for responding to the question at hand, it seems to me that you are wondering more about her story than the book itself, am I right? If so, here is my answer: Malala's story is real, she is not Western propaganda, however, America has made her into Western propaganda (hence her story only getting taught in schools, and people only spreading news about her as a Muslim girl getting put down for her freedom and right to learn [which if the media and schools knew of, is something that Islam actually inspired and helped start] and be educated by the Taliban), I think that is what you were trying to say but got confused or mixed up. I have not read the book, so I will not judge it (yet), but I do know more than enough about her story from school that it actually happened, and that just as important as it is for her to go to school, so is the proper information being spread about other Muslim women who did equally remarkable accomplishments- if not, then even more. Try to learn more about Malala and start to make more notes about her along the way, your opinion might or might not change, depending on who she really turns out to be. Just know this: That if an American white male Christian soldier were to go up to her and shoot her, we would never, EVER, hear about her again. And that's just a common truth too real to put aside. Hopefully this helps, and InshAllah you will get to find your answer someday! Wa'Alaikum Assalam!
Umer Iftikhar Half ?
Try 1/1000.
Nageen urrrr she was shot by Taliban people, not American Soldiers.
Megan R She's a real Muslim. Americans may f**k up but they wouldn't shoot a 15 year old girl. She does defend her religion and land - but not the Taliban and corruption part of it.
Li21 After reading several responses from others it occurred to me that while everyone was defending the remarkable girl (whose name you didn't bother to put in), they might have failed to realize that your hatred is not really directed towards her but towards Americans. Your question reeks of bitterness, which I find fascinating at the very least and rather disturbing on the whole. It may very well also be an insult to Muslims, not only in America, but everywhere. We are ALL flawed but there is no excuse for not understanding the necessity of basic human rights.
Amelie Koury First, why do you think she's not a "real" Muslim?
Second, she was shot for defending education.
Third, she was famous before getting shot. A documentary had already been made about her fight for education when she was 11 years old.
She was being interviewed by media, from all over the world, regularly.
She had worked with a journalist on a "diary" about her daily experience of trying to get an education while under the Taliban rule.

The fact that you believe she's not a "real" Muslim (which makes me wonder if you consider those who oppress and use violence as real Muslims) and are ignorant to what happened, to the politics of it makes you the exact person she was and is fighting for and helping. She's helping people (although often specifically girls) have access to knowledge, to books, to education.

You obviously have access to the internet, so maybe google her, find the hundreds of articles, interviews, and speaking engagements she did BEFORE she got shot to understand her "fame".
Educate yourself.
Lis Bergstrom ..Weird question?
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) The constitution of her country guarantees in writing the basic right to education, no matter if the child is boy or girl. That's all Malala and thousands of children like her (boys and girls) want--the right to learn. That right, written into the constitution of their nation, is denied ot many on a daily basis. Did you even read the book?
LB If you think the book is about religion then you completely missed the point. Try again and read it for a second time and hopefully with a grander perspective on how Malala had the courage to link a pressing issue (the Taliban) to a global movement (defending girls' education)
Namoos Qasmi How can a person decide about someone, that he/she is a real Muslim or not? It is wrong, very wrong. She is a human being at first, then comes all other things.
Agha How ignorant this question is. Read her book (and i mean seriously read it rather than believe the mullahs), she defends Islam again and again from the narrow and violent interpretation of the Taliban. She says it many times that Islam which taliban show is not true. They are misusing Islam. Islam means peace and it gives rights to women etc etc. Now if you don't think that this is defending her religion, well then you are free to think whatever you wish. It wouldn't make it true.
Georgia Schroth She is a Muslim from Pakistan. She was NOT shot by an American soldier but by the Taliban because she stood up for rights of women all over the world to be able to get an education. Two of her friends were also shot on the same bus because they were sitting behind her. They both died!!! Obviously you have not read the book or you wouldn't make such an uninformed statement Mahmoud.
Mendes Fan Firstly, she wasn't shot by an American soldier. Secondly, you don't know if she is a real or fake Muslim. Thirdly, she isn't defending her religion, she's defending female rights. And this isn't about fame. I don't know why you even asked a question like this. You know nothing about her.
Shoaib Rehman Doesn't matter if she is a muslim or not. You need to see the fine print. She claims to have fought for her cause against Taliban's not letting her goto school. Let's not forget her father ran a private girls school (NY Times video from 4:50 onwards). Her fund barely has any images or information on her work in Pakistan, they're either in Africa or Middle East. Pakistan doesn't forbid girls from going to school.

Another article of interest: http://www.crescent-online.net/2012/1...

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/as...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...
Micaylah "If she was a Muslim (real one) and she was shot by American solider for defending her religion and her land would she have half the fame she is having right now?"

Highly doubtful. And why are you questioning her faith to Islam? Her story is a little different than the average Pakistani to begin with. Her Father saw to that, in a good way. She was already known in her area where she lived.

An American soldier would not have stopped an entire bus of children and opened fire. That is ridiculous to even think and there is not one piece of evidence to prove an American did. We are talking about an Activist that used words instead of guns.

Not at all like Omar Khadr who was a Child Soldier and threw a grenade and maimed and killed. Do you call him a real Muslim?
Morine Rose The fame she had cause she is a strong young girl faced with courage to take her regular human rights which is shameful thing that happening in a Muslim land which is against Islamic principles and human rights in general and women in particular. if Muslims are real Muslims these things would never happens , Islamic religion is safe and life not fear and death.
Mohamad What exactly is your definition of a real Muslim, because ISIS was selling the Oil in Syria to the USA as far as i know.

I am a practicing Muslim, and i know that a lot of Muslims didn't even read the Quran, they just inherited traditions from Mongols and pre-islamic era.

Before Islam, some arabs used to bury their female babies alive, because it was "shameful" to have a female as a baby.
Before Islam, people of Arabia used to have 11 wives, and exchange them for business purposes and contracts. Women were objects.

When Islam came and eliminated all those stuff, people were furious, and terrible things were done to those who accepted the message of Muhammad at the beginning. Such as being burned alive.
Jahongir Hamidov Everyone has their own truth.
Pooja Mahmoud,
1. Please define what a true Muslim is. That would help understand the premise of your question even better.
2. Please explain how she wasn't defending her religion and her land?

Thanks,
Pooja.
Not a Muslim, real or otherwise.
Sharon Esehngome Yes she would. She would because her people will recorgnize her hard work and still love her family and everything she try to do.
Sonali what do you mean real Muslim? Real Muslims look different? How do we decide that? This is the reason why we need people like her to stand for the basic rights of the people
Sakiena I come from a muslim family. I do not believe, but that doesn't matter. I just wonder what people mean whit the sentence: ... is a real Muslim...
Tell me, because I have found hundreds of different Muslims and who is the real one?
Image for I Am Malala